Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, January 27, 2008

closing a chapter... the book is still open

sometimes i just don't know what to say.
i know i can say: i love my granny and paw paw.
through out the years, their house has been the only house in the u.s.a. that us kids have really known in our childhood. the red house at 609 lee road... with the ever expanding garden in the back! they taught my family about God's love and about following Him. they've helped create incredible christmas memories. granny taught me how to wrestle. paw paw threw endless spirals and fastballs at me. he taught me to frizbee. he taught me to be kind. she taught me to love grits and scrambled eggs. he taught me to love bologna. (yeah, hard to believe we're from alabama, huh?). he taught me the true way - roll tide!!!! (paw paw ushered for alabama at the ironbowl for many years). granny got us tickets to watch uab play basketball, monster truck shows, the circus, the globetrotters, and ... lot's of other things since she worked at the jefferson civic center. they let me shoot their b.b. gun, and there's lot's of stories about that (i'm sorry for shooting pebbles - their dog - whew... good to get that off my chest, it's been over 20 years since the "accident"). he taught me to help others. she showed me it's a good thing to pick up old people who needed a ride to church. and so much more... $50 a month during college, trips to the beach, watching countless football games, being at center point church of Christ every time the doors were open.

granny died this weekend, late friday night. she was due for her promotion. she was tired. she was ready.
there's so much more to say... i may just have to come back and edit this blog again later.
here are some pictures of when granny and paw paw came to visit us in the fall of 2000. all they did for about a week was hold and feed aubrey (we did the changing). but paw paw would not let us lay her down by her self anywhere. a quick side bar... aubrey's baby pics look a whole lot like cooper's ... surprise! caught us off guard with that one, even though my mom swears he looks like me.
here's some pics of my favorite people.




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Wade said...

Sorry for your loss.

She sounded like a wonderful granny!

Heather's House said...

I am so sorry to hear the loss of your Granny. You and your sweet family will be in our prayers.

Mr. E said...

I hope your family is doing well after your loss. I like the way you put it in an e-mail though. She had a "big promotion". I can't wait for that promotion day as well. Look forward to reading more of your blogs. Thanks for the work you do at the church, esp. with our boy Caleb.

Chris and Becky said...

good blog brother, i'll miss her too. i enjoyed your family last week. love you! becky